Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My Genius Child Pt.1

Henry has been knocking my socks off lately with some of the things that com out of his mouth. First of all, let me tell you that I have been woefully behind on keeping up with what we're reading. We finished James and the Giant Peach last week, moved on to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which we finished last night, and are now a little ways into The Twits. If you are wondering why we are so completely stuck on Roald Dahl it is because we've been reading out of my own collection since I didn't expect to be on chapter books quite yet and I am a huge Roald Dahl fan. He seems to like them, too, so we've stuck with it. Since Henry gets out of school for the summer next week I predict much more time spent at the library and a better selection of reading material. Now onto his burgeoning genius...

We were watching AFV the other night and they were on a world tour. When they came back from a commercial the host guy was standing under the Eiffel Tower. Before he even got one word out, Henry yelled "Hey mom! They're in Paris!". Ummm...wha? I asked him how he knew that and all he said was "I just do". The only thing I can think of is Ratatouille, which we saw in the theater months and months ago. Last week we were in a store and, replying to his request for a bigger kid toy, I told him "Maybe when you're older". "I am older", he replied. "You're older than your own self?", I asked. He looked me in the eye and said "No mom, that's silly. But my brain is much older than the rest of me". Truer words have never been spoken...

At 3:30 he is graduating from pre-school. It sounds silly, I know, but it is pretty much the cutest things on the planet. He walked as an "undergrad" in the ceremony last year and was dubbed "Most Likely to be a World Traveler". Remember that?

*sniff sniff* He's getting so big!

No comments: