Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Tale of a Repair Job...

Do you guys remember those monster longies I made for Jennifer that were super cool tropical colors? Lemme see if I can find the picture...



There. Well, unfortunately, Ms. Jennifer opened them all excited to put them on the baby bum when she realized that the package had a huge gash in it. Yup. Fluffymail gone horribly wrong. Somewhere between my post office and her mailbox, some eeeeeeeeeevil (or careless, whatever) person got crazy with a box cutter or something and mangled her monster booty. There was a rip about an inch long in the waistband and a smaller tear in the very tippity top of the waistband a little ways over. I told her to send them back to me and I'd sew them up for her, not realizing the extent of the damage. I got them today and when I took them out of the package, this is what I saw:



Yikes! I decided that there was no way to sew them up without the waistband looking like a big mess. I couldn't bring myself to send them back to Jennifer that way. I decided to try something a little tricky and rip out the waistband, pick up all the stitches and knit backwards to replace the damaged waistband. So I started to frog the little guy. For all of you non-knitters out there, we call it "frogging" because you "rip it, rip it, rip it". When I got to about here:



I started to get a little nervous since I've never done this procedure before. Okay, I wasn't nervous, I was freaking out. I decided to thread a "safety line" into the knitting below the slash in the waistband to ensure that I wouldn't mistakenly drop stitches down to the eye line. Here he is completely frogged. Doesn't he kind of look like a Frankenstein monster receiving some sort of brain surgery?



I love it.

Anyway. I successfully picked up all the stitches and ribbed backwards back up to the top of the waistband. It felt kind of odd, like I imagine driving on the other side of the road overseas must feel at first... but slower and without moving objects to dodge.

So here is what is going in the mail back to Jennifer in the morning:



Ta DA! So I learned something new today and Jennifer can finally get these on the bum before it gets too hot to wear them. WooHoo! I also just finished Teneik's mean green monster machine, but I still have to take pictures, so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!
you are awesome Momma!!!

Logan's bum will appreciate it:)

Anonymous said...

My goodness... Great job!!!!!!! ~alseedus

Our Catholic Family said...

WOW. Those the cutest longies ever!! I love the one eye winking at you :))