Monday, February 25, 2008

A Day in the Life Pt. 3

I can't believe it, but the gym thing actually worked today. No afternoon coffee for me. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer (5 minutes forward, 5 minutes backward, etc) which is the machine I've found best suits my horrible knees. Then I did upper body: biceps, triceps, chest, back, shoulders and abs. It did give me a bunch of energy even though I know I'll be paying for it tomorrow when I try to get my butt out of bed. My drive to the gym just happened to sync up with the "totally 80s lunch" on a local radio station, which is always nice. As I was driving along I heard the unmistakable dun-dun-dun-da-da-dun-dun of "Ice Ice Baby" and was fully prepared to launch into it. I think I might have even busted out with "Alright stop, collaborate and listen" before I realized it was actually Under Pressure by David Bowie. And I was disappointed. I know! I wanted Vanilla Ice instead of David Bowie! I'll chalk it up to a temporary psychosis induced by wearing my jelly shoes too tight back in 6th grade.

I swung by Earth Fare and got some yummy plum tomatoes, fresh mozzerella and some baby romaine for a salad and a big ole crusty baguette to go with dinner since a meal without bread isn't really worth having (hence my need to go to the gym). My friend Robert was working so it was nice to get to chat. We decided that he is going to take me out on a hot date to see The Spiderwick Chronicles because Kyle isn't interested and Henry is too young for it, I think. I can't wait. We saw Charlie Bartlett this weekend and I wasn't super impressed. It was alright, just kind of meh. I think Robert Downey Jr.'s amazingness made everyone else look kind of amateurish. And they did a few "homages" to Harold and Maude that didn't work for me. If you are going to compare yourself to Harold and Maude you'd better bring it!

The gym is also a great excuse to take a super hot, super long shower and I took full advantage of that today. I even put on real clothes instead of getting back into my usual "yoga pants and tee shirt" uniform. Go me!

I answered another half dozen customer emails, ordered some yarn...OH! My wonderful local yarn dying mama sent me some pictures of the organic BFL she dyed up for me in a custom "Green Eggs" colorway for some super fancy shorts that will go up at the Dr. Seuss stocking next week.

How gorgeous is that??? I can't wait to get my paws and needles on it. I had to actually sit down and make a list of all the things I'd like to make for that stocking. But I'm not going to dish any more until I actually get some of it done, just in case.

I managed to get down to the mouth of the monster longies I'm working on. If I can get a few hours of knitting in after Henry goes to bed I think I can make my goal for the day. WooHoo! I still need to do some fabric cutting-monster teeth and fabric for another little project I'm working on. I'm not sure when I'll squeeze that in, I'm expecting the boys to come home any minute. As soon as the car pulls up to the curb I'll make the switch from work to family and try not to think about what I could be getting done while I'm making dinner and spending time with Henry. I know it sounds awful but one of the things that stinks about working from home is that I don't get that physical sense of leaving work and it always seems to linger in the back of my mind.

They're home!


Lisa said...

How long does it take to knit a pair of medium longies? With the duplicate stitch and weaving in the ends?

amy. said...

It really depends on so many things, like how many colors there are, what the duplicate design is and how many big blocks of time I can get to work on them. I'd say anywhere from 10-15 hours. I've never actually timed it because I generally do it in bits and pieces over a few days.

Tiffani said...

Oh my! That Green Eggs colorway is to DIE for! I absolutely cannot wait to see what you do with it. Congrats on the rest of your day. Godspeed... ~ Tiffani

Anonymous said...

where is the dr.suess stocking going to be?