Monday, November 26, 2007

School's In!

I have loved spending time with my boys this holiday weekend, but I have to admit that I was happy to have my nice empty house to work in today.

We had a blast this weekend, though. We took advantage of a nice day and hiked out to Bent Creek and had a little hot chocolate picnic on Saturday, and yesterday Henry and I had a mama/Henry date and went to see Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. I loved it! It was kind of an emotional roller coaster for Henry, though. There were a couple of parts that really upset him. There is one part where a little sock monkey repeatedly tried to hug the arm of one of the characters, but the guy doesn't see him and walks away. The second time it happened Henry turned to me with the biggest, poutiest bottom lip I have ever seen and said "That little monkey wants a hug but there is no one there to hug him" before bursting into tears. Poor little guy. He watched the rest of the movie from my lap. It was interesting to see his developing sense of empathy and the fact that he "gets" certain concepts that would have gone over his head 6 months ago.

It is positively gross outside right now so it has been easy to just sit and work all day. I am almost back to where I wanted to be at this point in the month.

I finished Ms. Stephanie's CrazyLegs:


And right now I am about halfway down the first leg of Cathy's crazy moose longies. I have never done anything like them before so I am a little nervous. I am hoping to get to the actual moose part tomorrow so cross you fingers for me!

I also did something today that anyone who knows me might have trouble believing. I baked cookies. This might not seem like a big deal, but I usually stay away from the kitchen at any cost. My own darling child laughed hysterically when someone asked me a cooking question in his presence, declaring "You're silly, mommies don't cook!". I am thinking of doing my mama's group's annual cookie swap for the first time this year. I have a feeling that half the mamas doing it will make their husband's try my cookies first and then wait 24 hours to watch for any side effects before eating one themselves, but that's okay. Here is my "test batch" of chocolate crinkles:


I ate one with an afternoon cup of coffee a while ago and it was actually very tasty. Go me!

Saturday was a big day at Crankypants World Headquarters. This past week I held a charity event to benefit Miracle Diapers, a non-profit organization that provides cloth diapers and supplies to low income families. The event ended on Saturday evening and over the course of the week we raised a grand total of $4,250 for Miracle Diapers. That's a lot of diapers, folks.

Also on Saturday I received a first draft sample of a pair of Crankypants from a Fair Trade Federation certified knitting cooperative in Peru. They are beautiful and the workmanship is amazing. There are a few kinks to work out (for example, they are in baby alpaca and I need them in merino) so I'm not sure it is going to work out, but this is a wonderful first step.

Okay. The boys are about to return from their first day back at school and I have a huge stack of monster bags calling my name. I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend!

No comments: