Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope everyone is looking forward to a wonderful and relaxing day with their families today. We are...okay, okay, Kyle is cooking the turkey and taters and we are packing them up to bring them over to our friends Melissa and Fletcher's house for dinner. We are trying to figure out how the heck to transport a 14lb. turkey in one of those little aluminum cooking pan thingies that those of us who only cook one turkey a year and therefor have no real roasting pan use. I feel a little bad about using disposable cookware, but not as bad as I would if I had to figure out where to store a huge roasting pan in my postage stamp sized kitchen. I am pushing to carve the turkey here and just bring the pieces (that sounds so gross) over, but I think that would detract from the "ta da" factor.

This is the part where I am supposed to say what I'm thankful for. Henry and Kyle, of course, who I won't talk about much for fear of getting all teary. I'm thankful for my amazing family, who I actually miss at the holidays instead of dreading going to see them. They are all together right now and I can almost see them in my head, laughing and bickering and drinking coffee-hi guys! I miss you! Give baby Sam a smooch for me! I am thankful for the vast mothering community which has given me so many friends and supported me not only when I wanted to throw Henry out the window, but when I wanted to start a business so I could stay home with him. And then there are the little things... my favorite pen that was a freebie when I ordered from Monkey Sudz (now Naturally Luxe), fresh mozzerella and tomato salad, getting to sleep in until 8:30 this morning, TiVoed episodes of Handy Manny in a pinch, hand dyed BFL yarn from Natural Home Presents (wow, I just went to find a link for that and there is a ton of gorgeous yarn just sitting there!), oh, and coffee. Coffee, how I love thee. And I'm thankful for my local roaster who knows just what I want when I walk in the door (one pound mocha java blend, one pound organic fair trade Ethiopian Yurgacheffe, please). I'm thankful for the burgeoning indie design scene that I kind of get to be a part of right now. There are so many amazing ideas whizzing about all over the place! It is inspiring and humbling and wonderful and amazing.

Happy turkey (or Tofurkey) eating!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Lay a big piece of fabric down. Put a piece of wood or metal pan (like the boiler pan) on the fabric. Put your disposable turkey pan on top of that. Gather the fabric tightly and tie it. Then pick the whole thing up.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!