Monday, September 14, 2009

What We're Reading- September Edition


September is here and we've changed up the books in the sidebar over there on the left. School is back in full swing, but Henry still seems to like his own stash of books best. Leveled readers are kind of blah, though I hear he just read a "non-fiction, that's information, Mom" book about Lewis in Clark that he liked. We had a library run today and here's what we grabbed:

Sardine in Outer Space by Joann Sfar and Emmanuel Guilbert
Time Warp Trio: Sam Samurai and
Time Warp Trio: Summer Reading is Killing Me! by Jon "rhymes with Fresca" Scieszka
Horrible Harry and the Purple People by Suzy Kline
Bumperboy and the Loud, Loud Mountain by Debbie Huey
Cam Jansen and the Summer Camp Mysteries by David A. Adler
and
Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School and Other Scary Things by Lenore Look

Whew!




I am forcing my poor book club to read Much Ado About Nothing. At first glance it seems mean to make a bunch of put upon and hard working mamas read Shakespeare for fun, but it is a HUGE breath of fresh air after several books in a row that involve children being put in one precarious position after another. After reading Three Cups of Tea, Persepolis and Half of a Yellow Sun I had to institute a "no suffering children" rule for the next few books. Much Ado is all banter and bawdiness (with a little drama thrown in). And there's a movie for the slackers and Emma Thompson/Kenneth Branagh lovers alike. We all win!

Since I picked this month's book I am obligated to host this month's meeting in 2 weeks. Think the studio will be done (enough) in time? Place your bets...

3 comments:

Joshua said...

Can you please please puhhhleeeeeassssse tell me how to get the "what I'm reading" book to show up on my own blogspot?? I get that it must be linked to the ISBN, but I cannot find the application. How do you do it??!

KidTaster said...

I don't actually use a specific "What I'm Reading" widget for mine. If you go to "Layout" and click on "Add a Gadget" there is an "Add a Picture" gadget. I just put "What I'm Reading" as the title and link to the book on Amazon. Then I upload a picture of the book cover. Easy Peasy :)

Joshua said...

Thank you! Apparently you should write widgets yourself!!!