Sunday, July 01, 2007

Childbirth, Smildbirth...

Up until this point I have compared every painful experience to Henry's birth and up until this point they have all fallen far short. Last night, however, is right up there.

We had been having a wonderful, relaxing vacation. We went to a small town street fair, ate fish and chips, watched movies, played cards and so on. Wonderful. Last night my in laws had to go to the wedding shower of the son and fiance of friends. Sicne we had played Trivial Pursuit with the son once, 6 years ago, they thought that it would be great if we also stopped by to give our congrats. Feeling kind of awkward sitting at a table in the middle of a crowd I didn't know, I wandered off to a small playscape with Henry and we played on the swing and ladder and whatnot. He also enjoyed swinging from a rope swing and tossing the rop back and forth between us. In a moment of very poor decision making, I thought I'd be "cool mom" and swing across the rope swing with wild abandon, just like my 4 year old sprite. Unfortunately, I managed to grab the rope, pull up with my knees and twist in such a coordinated way as to completely tear my lower abdominal muscle. "Cool mom" proceeded to collapse to the ground in a heap and beg Henry to go get Kyle before some stranger (one of the 100 strangers to witness my spectacular leap) came over to help me. By the time he got there I couldn't talk. I was a sobbing mess. Somehow we got into the car and he got me home and onto the couch where I freaked out for the next 2 hours about not wanting to go to the hospital. From everything we read on line (dial up diagnosis) it seemed that there would be nothing a doctor could do anyway, so we decided to give it 48 hours. Round about hour 18, I emailed Dr. Rob to see if he could refer me to a doctor up here. I am still waiting for a reply, and would honestly be shoked if I heard from him before office hours tomorrow.

The good news:

I can still knit! And since I am insisting that everyone else in the family try hard to go about their vacation as usual (and since I can't stand up straight, walk at more than .02 mph or bend), it seems that I will have plenty of time to do so.

The bad news:

Well, the bad news is a 2 parter. First off, the thing that makes my stomach hurt the very most is laughing. I somehow managed to severely injure myself on a rope swing in front of 100 strangers and I cant laugh about it without having to take a Percoset (my father in law just had a root canal and has offered up his pain meds until I can see a doctor. I caved and took one last night after a super giggle fit that left me gasping for breath and screaming like I was having triplets. Kids- don't try this at home). The second bad news is that I am pretty much completely couch bound. This means I can't drive to the post office to mail packages. If I feel better later in the week (or if we go near it if I can get a doctor appointment) I'll give it a try, but it is a 20+ minute drive and I can't do it right now. Sorry guys.

I will try to update again later in the week. Dial up isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be for this kind of thing. Later gators.

5 comments:

Tonya said...

OMG Amy, I hope you start feeling better soon. I am ss that I was laughing very hard while reading what happened. i hope you are feeling better and able to laugh at it soon. ~ Tonya

dizzidaisy23 said...

Good grief, Amy! Be careful with those rope swings from now on. I would tell you some of my embarrassing stories, but I don't want to make you laugh. LOL

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sorry about your stomach Amy! That really sounds painful. I will most certainly be praying for ya!

Anonymous said...

Oh no!! I am sorry to hear about that! I hope you heal quickly and still get to enjoy some of your vacation.
Best Wishes!

Anonymous said...

AMY!!! what the h***??!!! We are going to have a talking' when you get back into town.......